HTI Trip News

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Gregorio

This is my first time in Guatemala, my first time on a mission trip and only my second time outside of the US. I am here as a translator. Before I came I was a little frightened as to whether or not my spanish speaking would be worthy of anything other than "how are you?" and "where is the bathroom?" It has been thirteen years since I took a spanish class and four years since I spoke it with any regularity. I was really hoping that it would be like riding a bicycle and if not that hand motions and other people's ability to speak spanish and english would suffice for my rudimentary skills. I needn't have worried.
At the clinic we treat patients who cannot see out of one or both eyes because of cataracts. Some have pterygiums. One little girl had been hit when a melon fell on her. He eye was so damaged that she lost her sight and it was irrepairable. She came with her mother and showed gratitude to God even though the result was not what she had hoped it would be. In fact everyone who comes to the clinic is so gracious and understanding. They have been laughing at me when I correct my spanish or say something a little awkwardly. They have been helping me!
They come to the clinic from far away. They come here by chicken bus, walking, or by car. One women started her trip to the clinic at four in the morning! They come to the clinic and then they wait. They wait in our waiting room for hours, standing, sitting on chairs, sitting on steps, never on the floor. They wait patiently for their turn with the doctor and show gratitude to God no matter the outcome.
On the first day things get a little crazy. The doctor is operating on today´s patients, while the rest of the staff starts taking a patient history, doing vision checks, eye pressure checks and dilating eyes for tomorrow´s patients. The first patient arrived and everyone was waiting to see who would help him. I decided it was time to sink or swim with my spanish!
Gregorio and his wife came to the clinic because he could see cloudy in one eye and nothing in the other. He clearly had a cataract and was a good candidate for surgery. Throughout the day I spoke with Gregorio and his wife, despite my ability to understand or speak well. She told me he had trouble hearing and asked if there was anything we could do about that. After telling someone (and writing it in his chart) that he had trouble hearing with his eyes, everyone started laughing. I decided it best then to have someone else explain to them that we only work on eyes.
Gregorio´s wife had to return to their town. They thought he wouldn't go home until Tuesday and when I told him that I thought he would go home Monday he became very nervous because he didn't know his number and was afraid he wouldn´t be able to reach his wife. I reassured him that we would find it and we would call her to make sure she came to get him. Gregorio has two kids, a boy and a girl, like me. He is 85 years old. He has grandchildren and a wonderful heart. During the day Sunday he kept telling me he was afraid, but he knew God was good and would take care of him. He was also telling me something else, but I could make it out. Finally, Gustavo told me what he was saying. Gregorio, an 85 year old man from a small town in Guatemala who lived through civil unrest and changes that I can't imagine, who has been married for almost 70 years and who is kind and sweet had been fasting and praying for three days about the operation. God answered his prayers and he was grateful.
On Monday we spoke many times and had many laughs. We did get a hold of his wife and she and his daughter came to bring him home. He left smiling and praising God. He touched my heart and I touched his.This is why I am here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home